This e-bulletin by Herbert Smith contains summaries of recent litigation- related developments and important cases decided in the courts
These include the Supreme Court’s new exception to the ‘without prejudice’ rule; Lord Young’s report into how to right the balance in the UK’s perceived health & safety ‘compensation culture’; and the impact of the government’s spending review.
The list of contents can be read below. To read on, click ‘View Briefing’.
• Supreme Court adds new exception to "without prejudice" rule
• Lord Young's report on health and safety and "compensation culture"
• Tribute to Lord Bingham by Murray Rosen QC, Advocacy Unit Head
• Ministry of Justice: impact of government's spending review
• Commercial Court refuses enhanced disclosure order
• Security for costs: where claim and counterclaim raise same issues
• Recent cases on difficult issues in the law of damages
• Effect of corporation tax on calculation of damages
• Springwell: a source of relief for financial institutions
• Court statistics for 2009 show rise in High Court claims in London
• Other contentious publications